Blog Catalog

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Things you can't really explain

I saw a mature man yesterday in a bright pink t-shirt yesterday and I realized there a some things that have developed I just totally can't explain.

The t-shirt was one of them, obviously.

Besides being bright pink--no doubt just for attention-getting--said "END THE FED".

You can bet he has strong feelings about this subject.

I've read into this at different times. There's a whole group of people out there with this same thought about the Federal Reserve, that it is this subversive, negative, controlling apparatus in the country and it goes against everything Americans are about.

I don't get it.

What's so controlling and ugly and negative about the Fed?

I saw a local PBS program about our local Federal Reserve office and both it and the main Fed's development.

Geez, it was just created to smooth our the too-frequently recurring panics that took place in the ocuntry, over the years. It controls the money flow so there's enough around when we need it. You know how irrational and emotional people can get about money. They make sure runs on banks don't happen, among other things.

I just don't get it.

The other thing I don't get is the recent development of people creating these clearly temporary tributes to a lost loved-one along the sides of our streets and highways.

They can take all kinds of forms.

One, near my office, is of a white spray-painted bicycle which the family or friend has chained to a street sign, including flowers and a sign.

We all see the flowers, crosses and signs along the roads in differnt places.

One, I saw yesterday, was a big picture poster of the person killed, with their name and date of death.

Wierd, to me.

Another way of doing this is soaping the person's name and their life dates on the back window of the car the family member or friend is driving. I've also seen these with vinyl letters on the backs of cars lately, taking it a little further.

We just can't let people go, it seems.

Funerals and tributes in the newspapers aren't enough, clearly, to these people.

Religions are, for the most part, in my opinion and others, big denials of death, what with their heavens and hells, nirvanas, and people with wings but what are all these roadside and car tribute about? Further denial, it seems.

There must be major resentment that so-and-so is gone, for whatever reason and the people have the leisure time and money--however much or little--to create these things.

I think we need to get over it and just accept we're all going to die.

Anybody tell these people that?

No comments: